A Look Inside: John’s Patio
I love spring. So when Robin Williams stated, “spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s Party!’” I couldn’t agree more. Granted, we have it pretty lucky here in Texas and don’t have much room to complain about harsh winters. Regardless, there’s something magical about springtime that keeps us outdoors almost every possible moment.
In order to truly enjoy springtime, finding a great patio is a must. Each spring, my wife and I spend countless hours researching (and of course testing) our favorite patio spots. There’s only one problem…patios that aren’t your own have too many downsides, including:
- They close at the most inopportune times.
- Bringing your own music and decor is usually frowned upon.
Taking that into consideration, we started developing our own perfect patio within the comfort of our own back yard. Here are a few tips to consider when creating your own oasis:
- Take control over the mood with lighting. While it might be enjoyable to sit in pitch-black dark on occasion, it definitely makes conversations with friends difficult. To solve this problem, consider stringing lights from trees and roofs, or even use solar lighting to create a well-lit border.
- Where there’s music, there’s a party. Whether it’s being utilized for background or dancing, music brings every patio to life. Outdoor speakers can easily be synced with your home stereo system, or go with a portable docking station for even more convenience.
- Let people sit back and relax. It’s important to have comfortable seating, as well as tables for resting plates and drinks.
- A little color goes a long way. Add some character to your patio space with flowers, candles or unique furniture that can withstand the weather.
- Finally, as my father-in-law always says, “there are two things in life, cold beer and plenty of it.” Regardless of your beverage of choice, be sure to have refreshments close by to prevent walking in and out of the house and missing out on great moments.
Springtime and patios always give us a great reason to celebrate. With the essential elements in place, your patio will definitely outlive spring and allow for the celebration to carry through all four seasons.